November 13, 2007

I love the night life ....

Most of my good friends know that there are a few things in life that I’m a little too passionate about. I listed in my profile that hockey is one of them but I didn’t mention another that may actually trump that … music. I’ve been a ‘music person’ since I was little and I’m happy to say that hasn’t changed in my adult life at all. In fact music surrounds me in business, as well. Music actually surrounds this website … it’s in my company name, the headers for all sections on the sidebar … it even creeps out in a title every once in a while.
When choosing the music for an event thought should really go in to it whether you like to don dancing shoes or not. Choosing a play list was one of the first things my husband and I did for our wedding but from years of helping couples, I know we were a bit of a rarity. When clients ask me for help now, I will certainly do what I can but I sincerely don’t like to interfere with exact songs. I’ve noticed a bit of a trend lately in that couples are either cutting the dancing out of the reception completely or they’re only dancing to a few songs and then closing the dance floor … cocktail receptions are very popular! If you do this though, please still think about the mood you want portrayed via tunes. If you’re going to have a first dance, think about what song makes the both of you get that tingly feeling … think about lyrics that might make sense to the two of you … think of what makes you happy! You don’t have to have ‘our song’ … in fact even if you do, that wouldn’t have to be your first dance. There are no necessary rules to the music you choose but it should reflect you in some way. If you have quirky personalities, classical music may not be the best choice. If you’re both straight-laced individuals, you may want to steer away from poppy show tunes. You get the picture. And remember … if you need help, ask for it! Rather than consulting those ‘top 50 wedding songs’ lists (some are okay but many you find online are out-dated) ask your DJ, bandleader, event planner and/or friends … if your friends are anything like me, it would be a dream to help out ;)

I should put my money where my mouth is, shouldn’t I? I’ll finish this entry with a list of my favourites that would be great for a wedding (I've tried to get samples of all songs) … remember, they don’t have to have a specific tempo … if you want to do the jive, do the jive!

.: Susan’s Current Favourites :.

  • At Last - Serena Ryder (rather than the Etta James version)
  • Bubbly (sample on the left … this is my prediction for the big first dance song in years to come) - Colbie Caillat
  • Come Away With Me – Norah Jones
  • Come Summertime – Justin Rutledge
  • Dark Angel – Blue Rodeo
  • Hiding Place - Serena Ryder
  • I Will Love You For Miles - Danny Michel
  • Is It You – Blue Rodeo
  • Paper Cup (don’t mind the video) – Heather Nova
  • The Ring – Sarah Harmer
  • Running – No Doubt or Danny Michel (scroll down to the Valhalla medley)
  • Skyway Bridge (click on artist/releases and a menu will pop up with names … this track should automatically play) – Melissa McClelland
  • Storybook Love – Willy DeVille
  • Take My Hand (really don’t pay attention to this video) - Dido
  • Trouble in the Fields – Nanci Griffith or Sarah Harmer


  • No comments: