November 17, 2008

You Fill My Head With Colours Of Wonder & Delight


I'm so happy to start this section of the blog now! Thanks to Rethinking for making this first one so much fun ...


Hi there,

I'm getting married next year and I'm really excited because I'm starting to look for a dress. YAY! The only issue is that I have this tattoo on the back of my shoulder and I'm not sure if I want to show it off or keep it hidden away. I really had my heart set on a strapless dress. What should I do? Help!

Signed,

Rethinking My Ink

Waterloo, ON



Dear Rethinking,

YAY indeed! Shopping for the dress is one of the most exciting times during wedding planning but it can be daunting. And I’m talking for those of us who didn’t have to take tattoos into consideration!

If I were in your shoes, the first thing would be to decide on comfort level as far as the artwork being seen. If it’s something that has meaning to you and you love it, embrace it. Make it an extension of your look of the day. Some brides have not only shown off their tattoo but they play on it. Do you have a cherry blossom across your shoulder? Maybe you can have cherry blossoms on your invites, ring pillow and bridesmaids’ dresses.


Of course you can go the route of covering it up … if the tat is something you no longer want, are willing to pay a lot of money to get rid of, go through some painful processes AND have lots of time before the wedding. Sounds like you’re attached to it though. You can certainly try covering it up with makeup (Dermablend seems to be the brand of choice). Be forewarned that even the best makeup artist likely won’t be able to guarantee the results. A better (and more creative) option would be to go hunting for a shawl or shrug that would cover it up nicely during the ceremony and then let it show during the reception.


Personally? I’d flaunt it. It’s your wedding, it’s your tattoo and YOU want a strapless dress. What better day to show the world the real you? ☺

Relish the attention!

Susan




No comments: