October 25, 2008

I'll Be the Sand, You Be the Pearl


"As you may be aware, there are various different gems such as rubies, sapphires, emeralds and not forgetting the good ole diamonds. But did you know that compared to all the possible gems available pearls are by far the most eco-friendly gem. Why, you may ask? Because pearls don’t require mining that is used to unearth other gems. This mining is destructive. Pearls don’t require any chemical leaching. Most importantly pearls are found in mollusks which are used to culture pearls and these mollusks depend on a relatively stable environment and clear water, in order to develop."



I don't think I could have said it better myself. Well, I may have been a little less ominous but that technically is what I've been trying to put into words. The quote is from .: PearlGenie :. and is very true. There's a huge debate about diamonds and actually a lot of educating to be done about them. For example, did you know that 250 tonnes of ore have to be dug up for one single carat? Okay. That was ominous. More on diamonds later. Right now I wanted to do a post on pearls. Who says you have to have a diamond engagement ring? For those of you unsure of the idea or just not hip enough to be square, I dug up (no pun intended) some inspiration pics for you. Some of the rings are pretty funky but I also managed to find some for the more traditional ladies reading. I hope you find some ideas you like!










No comments: