October 30, 2007

The Proposal- HIS Side of the Story!

From BloggerBrides Fiance:

Every groom has a proposal story that they think was scary….mine REALLY was.

After reading BloggerBrides post about our engagement. I thought it might be cool to tell it from my point of view. After all, there’s two sides to every story…

I distinctly remember when I decided I was going to marry BB. I was in a meeting at work with my boss when out of nowhere the room went dark and silent. I got butterflies in my stomach. One thought kept running through my head: “I am going to marry BloggerBride”, “I am going to marry BloggerBride”. It was a pretty strong feeling. Over-whelming even. When I came out of my trance both the vendor and my boss were looking at me. Apparently one of them had asked me a question. I smiled and said yes.

That night I bought the ring. I felt good about, which is important. With all the pressure from BB, her friends and family I wanted to make sure I was doing this for me and her. Nobody else. I was happy with the ring and I was ready to propose…but I had no idea how.

I kept the ring for about a month hidden in my closet. I knew she wouldn’t find it. She never goes near my closet (your Christmas present is NOT in there). I had a couple of ideas for proposals but none of them felt right. When BB’s family asked me to go the cottage, I thought I’d bring along the ring, just in case.

Once we got to the cottage I knew this was it. It was perfect. The weather was great, her whole family was there and we were having a great time. I tried and tried to get BB’s dad alone so I could ask his permission. It was impossible. Either mother BB or brother BB were always around. By the time Sunday came, I knew if I had to go through with it and hoped he would understand.

So I was out fishing with brother BB when I noticed the sun was starting to set. This was it! I had to get back. I told brother BB I had to go, he was looking at me like I was crazy so I told him I had to use the bathroom….it was the only thing I could think of.

When we got back, I snuck the ring in my jeans pocket. The ring box was HUGE! It looked like I had a rubix cube in my pants (insert joke here). I grabbed a sweater and tried my best to cover it up. I asked her if she wanted to go for a walk. Not an out of the ordinary request but I felt like I gave it all away. She said sure and off we went. At this point I was sooooo nervous. I was saying stupid things like “So what’s on tap for you this week?”. How lame….

We got to the muddy road and I saw that if we didn’t hurry, the sun would set and I would be proposing in the dark. So I asked her to run, and she ran. I was really impressed. No questions, no whining, she just held my hand and ran with me. It was sweet. Something I’ll always remember.

When we got to the dock, the sun was just setting. I felt like my heart was going to explode I was so nervous. We sat at the end of the dock and I just started blurting out things about her and about us. I reached into my pocket, pulled out the rubix cube and thought “Which way is up on this thing?”. I guessed wrong. Right over the water I opened the box upside down. Smooth…very smooth. I flipped the box around and I popped the question. Now I know BB is a crier but holy cow! She was sobbing. I heard yes in there somewhere. I actually had to tell her to calm down and breath.
The walk back was surreal. We just kept saying ‘Did we just do that?” I loved the walk back. It seemed like forever. When we got back we walked in and BB’s mom could sense something was up. I think she thought we were fighting. BB just blurted out “We’re engaged” and they stared at us, dumb struck. I’m not going to lie, I’m a bit of a joker so they may have thought it was a trick, but once they saw the ring, that was it. Tears everywhere all over again.

It was a great experience and I’m glad BB could share it with her family. They are very important to her. My only regret was not getting permission first. If I could do it all again I would have worked harder at that. I’ll have to make it up to him.

There you go, “The Proposal” from FI’s point of view.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG THIS IS SOOOOO SWEET

KISSA

Anonymous said...

BB & BB's FI...

OMG, this is sooo sweet and funny! I LOVE the crying and the nervousness, so real, so natural, awesome!

Congratulations!

XoXo

LiveLaughLove!