December 9, 2008

Oh the weather outside is frightful

But the fire of my stove is delightful. So in light of the impending transit strike in my city and the desire to cocoon at home with good food since it's all snowy and wintery out there at the moment, I thought I'd share a few of my favourite recipes with you. Maybe I'll make this a regular thing for me in this space, if Susan doesn't mind? since I'm as much a cook as she is an Etsy shopper.

And let's face it ... food is a huge part of a wedding.

MM loves to eat and is very happy about his lot in life as my future husband, since I enjoy cooking but am not fussy about it. Must be the former farm girl in me - my favourite meal is still a good rare roast beef, with mashed potatoes, green beans with butter and almonds and an apple cobbler/crisp for dessert.

Speaking of Apple Cobbler, my grandma's recipe is the one I make and I've had it up on Recipezaar for ages. It always gets good reviews and I love that darn appley-cinnamony-oatmeal goodness so darn much!

My favourite cooking blog is over at 101 Cookbooks.com. What I like about this blogger is that she's vegetarian, offers vegan options, but isn't preachy about, and her recipes feel homey, almost vintage. Like this week's post about Caramelized Onion Dip. She's updated the classic dip that my mom served to people made from Lipton Soup Mix.

I could see serving this at the wedding. Heck I had originally thought about using my own recipes for the wedding. serving classic roast beef and a fancier version of my own cobbler (with vanilla bean baked in and freshly grated cinnamon). But that was back when it was a fall event. Now I'll have to think about what I want for a spring shindig. Yummy!


No comments: