September 22, 2008

The Brain of a Bride-To-Be

Yesterday was my 30th birthday, and I have to admit, it was probably my best yet! It was a smaller celebration than usual, but much more meaningful. If you’re keen on your astrology knowledge, you’d realize that I’m a Virgo, which brings me to the topic of today’s post.

I’m a Virgo, through and through. Just to give you an idea, let’s analyze the traits of a Virgo.



The Pro’s
Modest and shy
Meticulous and reliable
Practical and diligent
Intelligent and analytical

The Con’s
Fussy and a worrier
Overcritical and harsh
Perfectionist and conservative

I pride myself on my perfectionist ways, my organized planning and even though it’s not a very nice word, I openly admit that I’m quite anal when it comes to planning and details. I also have an unbelievable memory that all my girlfriends envy, and my fiancé fears. Heh ;) I can recite, word for word, conversations that I’ve had with people, I can tell you what you were wearing the first time I’ve met you, and I can give you teeny tiny minute details to events that have happened in the past. So yes, it’s something my fiancé fears.

As a bride-to-be however, some external force takes over your body and even the most anal Virgo (*ahem*, me) loses some of her abilities. This, my friends, is what brides-to-be affectionately refer to as “Wedding Brain”. And I, unfortunately, am suffering from it.

I’ve forgotten to hand in my invoices at work (which is huge because without it, I don’t get paid!), I have the same 2 envelopes sitting by my front door to be mailed (for about 2 weeks now!), I’ve borrowed a friends book and have finished it but continually forget to bring it back to her, I keep telling my friend the same story over and over because I cannot remember that I’ve already told her (how embarrassing!) and I cannot count the number of times I’ve turned to someone and said “Shoot… I was going to tell you something but I completely forget what I was going to say!”

Needless to say, given my normally infallible memory, my friends are all testing my forehead for fever while asking “What’s wrong with you?!”

I always said that I wouldn’t be one of those brides that continually talks about her wedding, or who vacates all other areas of her life to focus on her wedding, but I have to be 100% honest with you…. It’s truly difficult to prevent this from happening when something so huge consumes your life. I’m just one of those lucky girls who has lovingly patient friends who smile and pat me on the head while I stare blankly at them because I’ve forgotten something else.

Hmmm… maybe this is why us brides have bridesmaids? So they can be our brains during our planning process ;)


No comments: